Week 9 – GTD – Getting Things Done – Part 1

“Day 092/366 – To Do List” by Great Beyond is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

Your toughest work is defining what your work is! –  Peter Drucker

SUMMARY

This week wasn’t too stressful in regards to schoolwork, but at the same time, it was also one of the most stressful weeks of my life and it continues to be as the election is still not over. In regards to what I did this week, I went on a walk with my mom and my brother, and I was able to play some volleyball for the first time in a while. I’m also attempting to learn a couple songs on piano, bass, and possibly guitar (we’ll see how that goes).

PRACTICE ROOM (TUTORIALS)

Image of David Allen at TED Talk
Screenshot from David Allen TED Talk

In this ‘room’ you are going to try Getting Things Done (GTD).

STEP 1: MAKE A LIST

Screenshot of David Allen TED Talk
Screenshot of David Allen TED Talk
  • American Revolutionary War Assignment – HOTA
  • Work on IA – Calculus
  • Study for test – Chemistry
  • Blog Post – Film
  • Day of the Dead assignment – Spanish
  • Poetry Project – Lang & Lit

STEP 2: NOTICE WHAT YOU NOTICED

Screenshot of David Allen TED Talk
Screenshot of David Allen TED Talk
  • Study for test – Chemistry
  • Work on IA – Calculus
  • American Revolutionary War assignment – HOTA
  • Day of the Dead assignment – Spanish
  • Poetry Project = Lang & Lit
  • Blog post – Film

STEP 3: SET A TIMER

https://giphy.com/gifs/time-clock-konczakowski-d3yxg15kJppJilnW

OUTSIDE (PRODUCTIVITY & THE BRAIN)

David Allen image
Oct. 2020 Lucidchart interview with David Allen
  • Oct. 2020 interview with David Allen
  • I thought this interview was really interesting, and the part that stood out to me the most was when he said that people don’t capture everything they need to do. Instead, we often times only give attention to the things we perceive as being the “most important” tasks.
Image from FastCompany Magazine, https://www.fastcompany.com/3026827/the-brain-hacks-top-founders-use-to-get-the-job-done
Image from FastCompany Magazine, https://www.fastcompany.com/3026827/the-brain-hacks-top-founders-use-to-get-the-job-done

As I began my walk, the David Allen interview was fresh on my mind, so it was the first thing I thought about. The part of the interview that really resonated with me was his mention of capturing every task that’s in your head. As someone who writes a to-do list in a planner, I know that I don’t write down the little things that I have to do each day. I decide what the most important tasks are for the day, even though those seemingly insignificant tasks are still on my mind. For the rest of my walk, I really only paid attention to my surroundings, looking at every little tree and mushroom, listening to every distant sound, and feeling the rain. It was a very peaceful walk, and I was quite happy to have the rain with me. It seems like this is an unpopular opinion, but I always look forward to the cold, rainy weather of fall and winter in Olympia.

OPTIONAL EXERCISE – Literally, read the article and go for another walk 🙂

Katia Verresen homepage
Katia Verresen, kvaleadership.com

“I coach C-suite executives and rising stars from the earliest startups to Fortune 100 companies. My passion is to help ambitious leaders achieve their full human potential.”  – Read more about Katia…

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

• What I Learned: One thing that I learned this week in this class is that having physical, emotional, and mental energy is crucial in finding success. Outside of this class, I learned about the origin of the electoral college and more about just how the electoral college works.
  • Problem Solving: One problem that I have to consistently solve every day of every week is the problem of how I will manage my time for the day so I can be as successful as possible. Usually, this problem is very difficult to solve on Wednesdays, just because there is so much to do in what always ends up being a shorter amount of time than I expected. I had to solve a few problems with my Chromebook this week, as my gmail was blocked and everything on my computer was loading really slowly. To solve the gmail problem, I had to call the OSD technology help number and basically reset my entire computer, and to solve the slow loading state of my Chromebook, I just had to turn my computer off and on.