Film – Week 10 – GTD – Getting Things Done – Part 2

Image from BiggerPlate.com

Teens are overwhelmed, partly because they don’t yet have the skills to manage the unprecedented amount of stuff that enters their brains each day.  – from LifeHacker.com

“Your mind is for having ideas, not holding them.”

“You can do anything, but not everything.”

― David Allen, (GTD) Getting Things Done for Teens: Take Control of Your Life in a Distracting World

SUMMARY

My week has been quite stressful, as I have multiple big projects that I need to be working on and calculus is really kicking my butt. However, there were some positive things that came out of my work on my English project, because I was able to access some of my hidden creativity to make something very artistically pleasing (in my opinion). I also cut my hair again, which was a nice change to the usual never-ending repetition that happens each week.

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

Screenshot from Animated Book Summary And Review at YouTube

You are going to learn to develop your own version of David Allen’s Getting Things Done (GTD) process in this ‘room.’

I watched the book summary video and read the de-stressing article and I found both of them to be really interesting. I thought the “mind sweep before bed” routine that was included in the teen stress article sounded helpful. I might have to try that out sometime this week. The whole idea of finding a way to organize my thoughts and my mental to-do list is very exciting and I look forward to finding a routine and system that’s successful for me. I already have a physical planner and to-do list that I write and check-off each day, but it’s not organized with the depth and intention that Allen discusses.

LAB (THEORY PRACTICED)

Screenshot of David Allen TED Talk
Screenshot of David Allen TED Talk

Examine Two GTD Maps: Basic and Detailed

1. Detailed map by guccio@文房具社 icensed under CC BY-NC 2.0
  2. Basic map from BiggerPlate.com embedded below
Image from GoodReads.com
Image from GoodReads.com

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

• What I Learned: In this class, I learned about how the Trello system works and I started to get an idea of what GTD system will be successful for me. Outside of this class, I learned that most flu shots contain a small amount of egg proteins and are manufactured using egg-based technology.
  • Problem Solving: One problem that I solved this week was a continued issue with my Chromebook and the WiFi at my house. I mentioned this last week in my problem solving section because I thought my internet issues were solved and out of the way. However, as I started class on Monday, my computer was once again moving slowly, or in some cases, not at all. Though the problem had a huge impact on my ability to work, it was pretty simple to solve; I just had to reset the router and restart my Chromebook.