Session 2 Production Project – Typeracer

Eurabia screenplay
“Eurabia screenplay” by Joe in DC is licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0

SUMMARY

Role

Screenwriter

Intention (SMART Goal)

To write a script that is both concise and detailed, and includes a properly written montage.

PRE-PRODUCTION – INQUIRY

Leader(s) in the Field / Exemplary Work(s)

John Hughes

John Hughes primarily wrote comedies, creating some of the most well-known comedies and coming-of-age stories such as National Lampoon’s Vacation, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, and The Breakfast Club. Though never fully recognized with awards, his contribution to and impact in the film world is still prevalent today. Some advice from him includes writing not only what you know, but what you care about. He also tells upcoming screenwriters to recognize that when they finish a screenplay, know that it’s just a blueprint – it will change as you go through the stages of production.

Script – The Social Network

The Social Network, recognized with 172 award wins and 186 nominations, was written by Aaron Sorkin, who won the Academy Award for his writing for this film. By looking at the first page of the film’s script, there’s a noticeable rhythm in the dialogue: one character, Mark Zuckerberg, always has longer lines than the person he’s talking to. Sorkin establishes character through this, showing that Zuckerberg has little to no regard for the other person in the conversation, and would rather hear himself talk than listen to someone else. His writing also includes a great deal of detail, clearly setting each scene and explaining what each character should look and feel like in every moment.

Training Source(s)

Screenwriting Tips from Hollywood Professionals
  • Advice from multiple screenwriters that have found success in their field
    • Includes the writers of A Quiet Place and BlacKkKlansmen
  • The process of writing should give you the most joy, not just having something written (0:15)
  • Quantity leads to quality; write as much as you can (0:23)
  • Embrace the feedback you get (0:28)
  • Focus on concepts and take time to develop a story before you dive in (0:32)
  • Read and research both good and bad screenplays – you can learn different things from each (1:03)
  • Enjoy the small victories (1:23)
  • Don’t be afraid to make it personal – tap into the things you’re passionate about and the story you want to share (1:44)
  • Divorce yourself from your own ego (1:54)
  • Write in your own voice and entertain yourself and the people you love (3:16)
  • Keep writing even when nothing good is coming to you; keep that momentum going (3:38)

Celtx – Helped with proper formatting when I was writing my script

• No real concrete rules when writing a montage
  • Use it to communicate a big piece of the story in a short amount of time – but still, make sure the audience can experience the information and emotion you’re trying to communicate
  • Can either be a single-location montage or multiple-location
  • Formatting:
    • The header above text should at least read “MONTAGE”, but specifics can be added in
    • If necessary, clearly state the end of the montage with “END MONTAGE”
    • Simple descriptions of each shot placed consecutively

Project Timeline

1. Decide on team roles
    • Research professionals in each of our roles (exemplary screenwriters)
    • Watch video essays on screenwriting
  2. Create timeline/to-do list for production
  3. Write a goal for screenwriting and add it to the tracking sheet
  4. Decide on final logline and brainstorm basic outline
  5. Collaborate to create a storyboard
  6. Write screenplay
    • Focus on keeping scenes concise
    • Ensure beginning, middle, and end
  7. Decide on a location(s), gather props and equipment
  8. Shoot all scenes and record audio
  9. Label and add clips (video and audio) to WeVideo
  10. Put clips in order, trim as needed, and add transitions
  11. Collaborate and communicate to make finishing touches
  12. Create blog post and slideshow
  13. Present to class and Advisory Committee
  14. Get feedback and discuss/reflect on what could have been done differently

Proposed Budget

PRODUCTION – ACTION

The Film

Skills Commentary

The Slideshow

POST-PRODUCTION – REFLECTION

21st Century Skills

Ways of Thinking (Creativity, Innovation, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving)

When writing the final draft of the script, I applied my creativity to add visual interest to a few scenes. In particular, I made the decision to have the losing player’s screen light up red and the winning player’s screen light up green to communicate the outcome of the competition.

Ways of Working (Communication & Collaboration)

I wrote the screenplay based on a storyboard created by one of my team members and had to communicate with him on what some of his visions were. We collaborated on multiple instances, even changing small parts of the story to reflect

Tools for Working (Info & Media Literacy)

During this project, I used Celtx to write the screenplay, which helped find the proper formatting and structure of the script. We also used Trello to organize our timeline and keep track of our progress and used WeVideo to edit and create our final time.

Ways of Living in the World (Life & Career)

Through creating this film, I gained collaboration and teamwork skills that will be helpful to me in future group projects. I also learned various screenwriting skills that could not only be useful in the film industry but also writing essays, stories, and reports throughout my life.

Reactions to the Final Version

“I thought you did a great job writing for rhythm, and there were a lot of funny bits written into the screenplay that were really successful” – Reese

Self-Evaluation of Final Version

Our final film was simple, as we didn’t include scenes that were unnecessary to the story. It was also unexpected, as we used a plot twist at the end of the film to shock the audience. Additionally, our film was concrete and emotional, as we used sensory language to make our audience laugh. Overall, we were able to tell a story completely and creatively that was successful with our audience.

What I Learned and Problems I Solved

During this project, I learned technical skills, like how to write a montage, and I learned real-world skills, like how to successfully work within a team. In working with my team members, I found what kind of workflow and style of collaboration works best for me. I was also exposed to new modes of creativity and problem solving, and small technical skills in other roles just from watching other members of my teamwork. All of these skills will be helpful to me in the future and I will apply them to future projects to be successful.

Grammar and Spelling

Edublogs Spell Check, Grammarly

Editor

Windsor Pratt