Film – Week 11 – Updating Workflow – Mind Like Water

“‘Be shapeless and formless.. like water’ (Bruce Lee)” by Akinini.com is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

“Have a mind like water.”

― David Allen,  GTD

SUMMARY

This week, I learned a lot about how films have changed over time from episode 1 of The Story of Film and I learned a lot during the meeting with Mark Cousins. I also wrote my first script in a while and I made my first ever shot list.

PRACTICE ROOM (TUTORIALS)

Screenshot from sneakonthelot.com
Screenshot from sneakonthelot.com

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

Screenshot from The Story of Film Trailer on NetworkReleasing YouTube channel

OUTSIDE (PRODUCTIVITY & THE BRAIN)

Image from bananatreelog.com

I unfortunately was not able to go on a walk today, but I still gave myself some time to reflect on this subject and how it appears in my life. Based on the lists of ways to increase happiness levels, I think I do a pretty good job in maximizing my production of those brain chemicals. I exercise regularly, which applies to all of the brain chemicals listed. In regards to dopamine, I make a to-do list everyday and check off a task when I’ve completed it, which I have noticed does give me a sense of relief and joy. I pet my cats and listen to music everyday, which should increase my oxytocin levels. For more endorphins, I laugh everyday, eat dark chocolate pretty often, and I do high-intensity interval training 2 or 3 times a week. The list of serotonin increasing activities doesn’t have many things I’ve been doing lately, but I do still exercise and eat the foods that are included in the list. I wasn’t aware of it, but it seems like the things I regularly do increase the levels of these brain chemicals. If I wanted to increase those levels, I think I’d try out cold showers and meditation.

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

• What I Learned: In this class, I learned a lot from Mark Cousins, like what kind of mindset you need to start making films and how it’s important to be weird. Outside of this class, I learned a few sewing skills from my mom which will hopefully come in handy later in my life.
  • Problem Solving: This week, I solved a problem with a National Honors Society member, as they were having trouble opening the slideshows from previous meetings on Schoology. I was able to communicate with the other officers and our advisor on the issue and quickly fixed the problem.