Film – Week 13 – Changes

Film – Week 13 – Changes

“The most honest form of filmmaking is to make a film for yourself.”

― Peter Jackson,  Link

SUMMARY

This week, I watched the second episode of the Story of Film and learned a lot about the introduction of realism to Hollywood. I also went on a very nice (but cold) walk and reflected on how I can best challenge my negative thoughts.

PRACTICE ROOM (TUTORIALS)

Screenshot from sneakonthelot.com
Screenshot from sneakonthelot.com

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

Screenshot from The Story of Film Trailer on NetworkReleasing YouTube channel
  1.  Episode 2 

OUTSIDE (CREATIVITY, PRODUCTIVITY & THE BRAIN)

Worksheet from bananatreelog.com

On my walk, I evaluated what I had just read about overcoming negative thoughts and I tried to put it to use in my own situation. I took the negative thought I was experiencing and isolated in my mind. By doing this, I was able to rationalize my negative thought and realize that I was making it worse in my head than it was in real life. I found this helpful temporarily, but that thought did end up coming back later on in the day. Since I was in my room at this point, I decided to do some journaling and write down some of my negative and positive thoughts that I had during the day. I found it really helpful to take them out of my mind and put them on paper, clearing the overwhelming clutter in my brain. By simply writing a few things down and reflecting on them a little bit, I felt much better. In the future, I want to use journaling more consistently so that I’m able to reduce my negative thoughts and improve my outlook on things.

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

• What I Learned: This week, I learned a ton about the introduction of realism to Hollywood in the 1920s. I found it really interesting that something we now see as a very normal concept was previously seen as rebellious and experimental.
  • Problem Solving: In this class, I began to solve the problem of my negative thoughts. I was able to get them out of my head for a while and focus on the present, rather than dwell on the past or worry about the future. Though I know the overall problem will not vanish after this, I think that continuing to challenge my negative thoughts will definitely make the problem easier to deal with.